[Snort-sigs] Sig to locate rogue ftp servers

O'Flynn, Derek DOFlyn at ...466...
Wed Feb 12 08:28:02 EST 2003

Try this rule.  I have been using it for the past few months, and have not
seen many false positives.  It has the old flags usage because it was
written awhile back and I haven't bothered changing it to flow yet. I assume
flow:from_server,established; would work as a replacement.

331 is the command given after a successful user login.

alert tcp $HOME_NET !21 -> $EXTERNAL_NET any (msg:"FTP FTP on non-standard
FTP port"; flags:AP; content:"331 "; depth:4; classtype:policy-violation;)

Derek

-----Original Message-----
From: Jukka Juslin [mailto:jtjuslin at ...1151...]
Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 8:47 AM
To: Jon
Cc: snort-sigs at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-sigs] Sig to locate rogue ftp servers

Dear Jon,

I don't think this rule really works. I get 100's of false positives each
day. Your ssh rule is good, though, because ssh is easy to recognize with
the SSH- in the header. I had similar rule in use before you posted yours.

I wouldn't recomment using this rule. Comments?

Thanks,
Jukka

--
Jukka Juslin (M.Sc.)