[Snort-sigs] details about a sid

Yaakov Yehudi yehudi at ...1252...
Mon Feb 10 02:43:05 EST 2003

Hi Rodrigo (and others),

This rule is one which frequently give false-positive results.

Below you will see I have copied a couple of messages.  They are a dialog
between myself and the very helpful Jason Harr, which discusses this problem.

****
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 13:16:02 +1300
From: Jason Haar <Jason.Haar at ...651...>
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] WebDAV

On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 10:42:19AM +0200, Yaakov Yehudi wrote:

 > Can anyone tell me if the WebDAV file lock alert can be triggered by
 > anything other than an intentional attempt to lock a file for editing etc.

Yup. Happens all the time.

It has been the cause of no-end of helpdesk reports to our IS staff over the
years.

As usual it's to do with M$ IE talking to Web servers. Due to "integration"
between IE and M$ Office, IE tends to change how it talks to Web servers
when it:

a> notices the URL you are downloading is an M$ Office doc
b> time of the month

At that stage, IE decides to see if it can *EDIT* the document from afar. It
will try an assortment of methods, including FrontPage (see: sid:968,1288
and the other 30+ alerts) and WebDAV. It tries to lock the file to see if
WebDAV is supported. Typically this fails, at which stage IE fails-back to
standard behaviour (good), or gives some damn weird error to the user (hense
the calls to our IS helpdesk.)

Microsoft: need I say more?

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417

****