[Snort-sigs] Searching for the latest Snort rules

JP Vossen vossenjp at ...1431...
Tue Dec 2 21:15:00 EST 2003

> Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 11:48:24 +0100
> From: "Marc Ruef" <maru at ...2036...>
> To: <snort-sigs at lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: [Snort-sigs] Searching for the latest Snort rules

<snip>

> Everyday I fill in the latest news on the topic. One field in the
> database is the Snort rule number. If I want to fill in the Nessus
> plugin number it is very easy for me: I call the Nessus project web
> site, select plugins and let display the latest plugins. If there is a
> plugin around that compares with the description in my database, I add
> the Nessus plugin number.
>
> But with snort it seems not so easy. I can't display the newest rule
> entries (or I haven't found yet). Is there a way for me to view the
> latest Snort rules so I can fill in the wanted data without additional
> personal effort (e.g. searching always the rule description or by port)?

I don't think I saw any answers to this one, so...

There are a number of ways to do this.

1. http://www.snort.org/cgi-bin/sigs-search.cgi

2. http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/snort/snort/rules/

3. Download the rules tarballs [0] and extract them somplace every night using
wget and cron (or Windows scheduler and wget & tar from UNXUtils [1]). Grep
the rules files locally for your search terms.  Not sure is this is something
you said you didn't want to do above.

4. Use Oinkmaster [2] which can tell you each day what rules have been added,
changed or removed.

5.  Subscribe to Snort-Sigs [3] which will teach you stuff about Sigs and
provide e-mails from Oinkmaster...

Hope this helps,
JP

[0] http://www.snort.org/dl/rules/snortrules-stable.tar.gz