[Snort-sigs] GPL/Open Source: Naieve Question

James Riden j.riden at ...1766...
Thu Aug 14 15:47:03 EDT 2003

Vkmobile <vkmobile at ...20...> writes:

> I found this on the Snort.ORG website:
>
> "Sourcefire and Snort are trademarks or registered trademarks of
> Sourcefire, INC. patents pending."

And Linux is a trademark owned by Linus Torvalds.

> So is Snort really distributed as an open-source/GPL distribution or is
> Snort.ORG actually the marketing and distribution arm of Sourcefire,
> Inc.? If patents are pending then are we all users be required to pay
> royalties at some point? Isn't this all in conflict with the open source
> and GPL? I am bit confused now.

man snort
..
HISTORY
       Snort has been freely available under the GPL license since 1998.

I believe the GPL says that you can't release under the GPL and then
later assert patent claims.

I doubt very much if e.g. my perl scripts to grep the output count as
derivative work, so they don't need to be GPL'd as well.

I am not a lawyer.

cheers,
 Jamie
--
James Riden / j.riden at ...1766... / Systems Programmer - Security
Tel: +64 6 3569099 ext. 7402