[Snort-sigs] GPL/Open Source: Naieve Question

Vkmobile vkmobile at ...20...
Thu Aug 14 14:38:09 EDT 2003

I found this on the Snort.ORG website:

"Sourcefire and Snort are trademarks or registered trademarks of
Sourcefire, INC. patents pending."

So is Snort really distributed as an open-source/GPL distribution or is
Snort.ORG actually the marketing and distribution arm of Sourcefire,
Inc.? If patents are pending then are we all users be required to pay
royalties at some point? Isn't this all in conflict with the open source
and GPL? I am bit confused now.

Can someone please educate me on this before we use this?

Thank you.
---
  VK