[Snort-sigs] Snort Signaturte option, byte_test and byte_jump

HQ-Amorelle Ong amorelle.ong at ...502...
Mon Apr 21 07:24:01 EDT 2003

        Hi All,

        Can somebody help to find out what is the equivalent option of
byte_test and byte_jump in snort 1.9.1 engine. The Snort 1.9.1 does not
support byte_test and byte_jump. But I am still using snort 1.9.1 and my
signature is the latest one.

         Thank You
 -----Original Message-----
From: snort-sigs-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-sigs-admin at lists.sourceforge.net]On Behalf Of Scott,
Joshua
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2003 6:04 AM
To: 'snort-sigs at ...198...'
Subject: [Snort-sigs] SID 1042 and WebDAV

I'm getting bombarded by alerts from SID 1042 - "WEB-IIS view source via
translate header".  According to the info on Arachnids, false positives
may be generated due to WebDAV requests.  There seem to be a lot of
instances of legitimate WebDAV requests (or so I think).  I've found
that Outlook Express communication with Hotmail, Outlook Web Access(OWA)
client communication, and even OWA communication between servers uses
WebDAV.  We're a very large Exchange shop (hundreds of servers across
the globe) so creating a pass rule or BPF filter at each sensor would be
an administrative nightmare.

I'd like to look into any possible alternatives before disabling the
sig.  Can anyone offer any insight?  Am I correct that
Exchange/OWA/Outlook Express uses WebDAV?  How do other Exchange shops
running Snort handle this sig?  Do most people leave this sig enabled?

Thank you,

Joshua Scott
Security Architect, CISSP

======
information that is for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any
viewing,
error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and
deleting
it from your computer.

======