[Snort-sigs] newbie post

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...189...
Mon Apr 14 15:28:02 EDT 2003

Since nobody answered this part, Snort doesn't stand for anything, it is
not an acronym, but rather a name based on the verb. Yes, believe it or
not, some software does not have an acronym for a name.

Basically from what I understand the choice of name appears to have come
from the phrase "packet sniffer", and the idea that something that's
similar but a bit stronger would be a "packet snorter", thus the name Snort.

For a definition of "sniff" in this context, see the jargon file:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/entry/sniff.html

Which states:
"1. To watch IP packets traversing a local network. Most often in the
phrase `packet sniffer', a program for doing same."