[Snort-sigs] Problems with SID 498: ATTACK RESPONSES id check returned root

Kenneth G. Arnold bkarnold at ...1280...
Fri Apr 11 07:43:08 EDT 2003

So your aren't worried that someone within your own network could have
obtained root privileges?  That's fine if you control all the machines in
your network but not too good if there are hundreds of machines in your
network that you don't control.

I have taken the approach of writing a pass rule for the machines I control
that generate this alert with normal activities.  Our network backup
program generates a lot of these alerts as it communicates between the
central tape server and the machines it is backing up.
Ken