[Snort-sigs] new PORN sigs

Imran William Smith iwsmith at ...500...
Wed May 29 18:00:02 EDT 2002

MessageI would suggest long patterns wherever possible, to avoid
false alarms.  If somebody is surfing porn, I would imagine
sooner or later, one of the existing patterns will match (I
believe there are quite a few).  Too many, and there'll just
be more false alarms.  Certainly, I would imagine the word
'voyeur' would pop up in lots of clean sites, lots of personal
sites, etc.

Also, some moderately dubious non-porn sites (e.g. black
hat security sites) have a tendency to pop up adverts for
porn, so a few alerts should probably just be ignored, and
only a large volume investigated.

Just my thoughts on false alarms.

Other thought - anybody got any patterns for network games - another
policy related area.   I was thinking maybe there would be a market
for snort to be used solely as a policy monitor - just stick it on
internal networks, review the results every month or two, no need
for constant review.  If DCHP is set up to loan the same IP for
a week or two, the culprit(s) would have the same IP address for a long
time.

--
Imran William Smith
Security Products Development