[Snort-sigs] Signatures

Chris Green cmg at ...435...
Thu Mar 21 14:07:31 EST 2002

"Nelson, James (CC-MIS Plans and Prog)" writes:

> This is just an observation and it is for the entire group. I said something
> earlier and nobody gave me any feedback.
>
> Why not build rules activate logging but only alert once on a given session?

Thats a TODO.

> The other thought I have is why not build rules that look for certain
> patterns in the RESPONSE that indicate the attempt was successful or that it
> failed?

There are a few. Check out attack-responses.rules.  The main trouble
is that most responses are VERY exploit specific and we try and write
rules that aren't exploit specific.

> What good are alerts without being able to establish some priority
> to them based on the system's reaction?

We're working on it.  It's a very hard problem though and requires
knowing what the sucessful exploit looks like.  The more popular the
tool , the easier it can be to ID it but

Back when Code red was the only IIS worm in town, snort got a neat
feature called "tagging".  This allowed me to see the multitude of
response codes that servers would reply to.  Just in my head and
looking over the binary caps I built up some heuristics on what
successful exploit was and a very shaky foundation on what a
non-vulnerable machine was.

Well, as it turned out, some of those heuristics were completely off
when nimda came aroud ( and woke me up on a vacation day ) and I built
a better set of heuristics in my head.  The trouble is theres SO many
possibilities that false positives and false negatives to detect

We're working on fleshing out attack -> / then catching the resposne
on that stream so you can classify popular attacks quickly but
catching the vulnerable app and then having knowledge of the network
is a better way to do it IMO.

--
Chris Green <cmg at ...435...>