[Snort-sigs] A question about Snort's rules

benoni.martin at ...406... benoni.martin at ...406...
Mon Mar 4 07:01:10 EST 2002

Hi everybody!
I  am  working  on  Snort  since  a  fortnight now, I have been reading the
Snort's  manual  and  the  Faqs,  but  I  am  not  sure of the reply of the
following question :
I  would  like  to define in a first rule a sort of attack (for example the
famous Speedera type), and in a second one, I'd like to apply a rule like a
"pass"  one  to  disable any alert on this sort of attack. But how can I be
sure  that  the  first  rule  will be read first and the second one will be
applied  having  in mind (well in Snort's mind! ). In other words how can I
be  sure  of  the  transitivity  between  the  two rules? I think that just
putting the first one before the secobnd one will be enough, but well, I am
not sure!
And if that way is wrong, how could I deal with this?
Thanks by advance!
MARTIN Bénoni

Ce message et toutes les pieces jointes (ci-apres le "message") sont
confidentiels et etablis a l'intention exclusive de ses destinataires.
La SOCIETE GENERALE et ses filiales declinent toute responsabilite au
titre de ce message s'il a ete altere, deforme ou falsifie.
				********
This message and any attachments (the "message") are confidential and
intended solely for the addressees.
E-mails are susceptible to alteration.
Neither SOCIETE GENERALE nor any of its subsidiaries or affiliates
shall be liable for the message if altered, changed or falsified.