[Snort-sigs] Solaris lpd exploit sig

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...189...
Fri Jun 28 12:14:01 EDT 2002

The hex vs string really doesn't much matter AFKAIK, but the repeated
sequence of the same character at the beginning of the content: section is
particularly painful for the string matching engine snort uses. If at all
possible you should *really* avoid such content patterns. I know that a
large number of //'s is a core part of the exploit, but it's very very
painful for a BM string search to execute.

You should also strongly consider adding the LPD port 515 instead of any on
the destination, your text mentions it but the rule lacks it.

I might suggest this rule instead:

alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET 515 (msg:"Solaris LPD exploit";
flags: A+; \
                 content:"/KARMAPOLICE"; nocase;\
                 reference:url,online.securityfocus.com/archive/1/275456; \
                 classtype:attempted-admin; sid:1000002; rev:2;)