[Snort-sigs] Re:Did anyone else notice...?

Bob Walder bwalder at ...636...
Mon Jun 17 07:40:02 EDT 2002

No WAY!

They kept that well hidden.....

;o)

Regards,

Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen Schwing [mailto:stephen.schwing at ...435...]
Sent: 17 June 2002 15:10
To: counter.spy at ...52...
Cc: bwalder at ...636...; snort-sigs at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-sigs] Re:Did anyone else notice...?

BY the way trons is SNORT spelled backwards.

counter.spy at ...52... wrote:

Thanks for your reply, Bob.

We tested RealSecure 7.0 recently and played with the Trons feature. In no
way is it intended as "competition" for Snort - the performance would suck
if you tried to load the entire rule set and it does not support any of
the
preprocessors (thus can be evaded in various ways until they harmonise the
parsing path in the RealSecure PAM)

Okay, this is just what I expected. So the statements of the TRONS FAQ
from Robert Grahams website are still valid.

HOWEVER - as a means of adding custom sigs quickly and easily to
RealSecure
it does a pretty good job.

NOW - the Snort community could get all precious about this and vilify ISS
for "stealing" the Snort rule set (a bit strong!),

I do not think this would be a clever thing to do. The community should
actually be glad about this. The only thing I do not like is the agressive
marketing of ISS. They tell the customer how cool this new feature of
including snortrules is, but they do not tell the customer any facts, such
as the total lack of statefulness of this module and that it's actually
not really integrating snortrules into RealSucure but utilizes a completely
separate detection engine.
However, I am currently having a discussion on the dragon mailinglist about
wether or not statefulness is really important for an IDS.
Some folks say it's not important at all. Maybe for them, TRONS' lack of
statefulness
therefor is a minor issue ;-)

OR we could look on
this
as a huge endorsement of the Snort "language" and look forward to all the
benefits that widespread use and adoption of the Snort rule set will bring
in the future....

IMHO, this is A Good Thing! (As long as ISS doesn't start to try and
introduce "non-standard" features into Trons, of course!)

100% agreed :)

Regards,

Bob Walder
The NSS Group
www.nss.co.uk

PS Please note that Edition 3 of our IDS report which includes the
RealSecure 7.0 review will not be published on our site until June 30 -
the
version that is up there at present is STILL VERSION 2, for those of you
who
have already downloaded

Thanks for the info. I cannot wait to get this report into my hands. :)
BTW: What about the gigabit report?
Will it now be for free or does NSS charge for it?
Does the report include additional solutions like the TopLayer switch and
other switches?
Thanks again.

Kind regards,
Detmar