[Snort-sigs] Re:Did anyone else notice...?

Bob Walder bwalder at ...636...
Mon Jun 17 01:16:05 EDT 2002

We tested RealSecure 7.0 recently and played with the Trons feature. In no
way is it intended as "competition" for Snort - the performance would suck
if you tried to load the entire rule set and it does not support any of the
preprocessors (thus can be evaded in various ways until they harmonise the
parsing path in the RealSecure PAM)

HOWEVER - as a means of adding custom sigs quickly and easily to RealSecure
it does a pretty good job.

NOW - the Snort community could get all precious about this and vilify ISS
for "stealing" the Snort rule set (a bit strong!), OR we could look on this
as a huge endorsement of the Snort "language" and look forward to all the
benefits that widespread use and adoption of the Snort rule set will bring
in the future....

IMHO, this is A Good Thing! (As long as ISS doesn't start to try and
introduce "non-standard" features into Trons, of course!)

Regards,

Bob Walder
The NSS Group
www.nss.co.uk

PS Please note that Edition 3 of our IDS report which includes the
RealSecure 7.0 review will not be published on our site until June 30 - the
version that is up there at present is STILL VERSION 2, for those of you who
have already downloaded

http://www.gmx.net

http://www.gmx.net

http://www.gmx.net