[Snort-sigs] Adding Changing Snort Rules

Imran William Smith iwsmith at ...500...
Sun Jun 9 18:07:03 EDT 2002

Snort running on any architecture can RUN the same rules, although
some rules will only detect attacks on certain architectures.  E.g. snort
on Linux and snort on Win will both detect an attack to an Win IIS
web server if they see it.

Flow: is only supported in the 1.9 branch.

The snort manual (PDF format) has a section on adding new rules.
Also, see the RULES.SAMPLE file, which has been written as snort
goes along, explaining the new functionality in each release.  It's a bit
out of date because from snort 1.8, rules have signature id (sid:)
and a revision id (rev:).  But it's still worth having a look at.

To write new rules, you'll really need to use either snort
or tcpdump in 'show me all the packets' type of mode, to capture
something, then you tailor the signature to match what you see, worrying
about false negatives and false positives as you go.

--
Imran William Smith
Security Products Development