[Snort-sigs] Updated WEB-FRONTPAGE dvwssr.dll

Chris Arsenault carsenault at ...283...
Thu Jan 24 11:34:06 EST 2002

Please feel free to comment back via email or the group on the writing
style below.  My main reason for using Snort in our corporate
environment was because of the links to references in an abundance of
the signatures.  I would very much like to see the Snort Sig DB a piece
of ARTWORK!!

# This is a template for submitting snort signature descriptions to
# the snort.org website
#
# Ensure that your descriptions are your own
# and not the work of others.  References in the rules themselves
# should be used for linking to other's work.
#
# If you are unsure of some part of a rule, use that as a commentary
# and someone else perhaps will be able to fix it.
#
# $Id$
#
#

Rule:  WEB-FRONTPAGE dvwssr.dll
--

Sid:  967

--

system.  The overflow may also allow the attacker to execute code of
choice.

--
Impact:  Successful execution of an attack would allow an attacker to
possibly read .asp files on the remote system.

--
Detailed Information: The permissions on the file dvwssr.dll do not
allow everyone read access by default.  In order for a host to be

--
Attack Scenarios:  Use of the GET command in the following context would
initiate this attack:  GET /_vti_bin/_vti_aut/dvwssr.dll HTTP/1.0.  If

--
False Positives: N/A

--
False Negatives:  N/A

--
Corrective Action:  Remove dvwssr.dll from the web server and test all
necessary functionality.

--
Contributors:

Chris Arsenault - carsenault at ...283...