[Snort-sigs] [Fwd: CERT Advisory ..] Protocol/Application decoder

Aaron Richard Walters awalters at ...379...
Tue Feb 26 17:07:11 EST 2002

Chris,
	I was looking at something like this a couple of months ago for a
project I was working on. I ended up writing an Apache module (similar to
that discussed in [1] to get the information I needed. I ran into a
number of problems trying to get Snort to do what I needed. I think
protocol/application decoder could be useful.  Especially if that
information would be available through the Packet structure in decode.h.
One problem that you might face, if it still exists, would be the default
128 byte flush point set in spp_stream4.c.  This caused me all types of
problems on doing content searches and negated searches on the URI.

If you are interested in any of the other problems I faced let me know.

For what it's worth,

AW

[1] Application-Integrated DAta Collection for Security Monitoring.
	Magnus Almgren and Ulf Lindqvist, RAID 2001