[Snort-sigs] Re: snortrules-current not updated since 22 - July

Jason Haar Jason.Haar at ...651...
Sun Aug 18 15:03:03 EDT 2002

On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 07:23:03PM -0400, Matt Kettler wrote:
> I'm not quite sure how Jason derived that
> http://www.snort.org/dl/signatures/snortrules.tar.gz is modded in May.
> Excessive browser caching of some sort? Or does he have access to the
> website's filesystem and is being confused by ls (which will list the
> symlink's mod time, not the target file's mod time)?

Murphy's law I'm afraid. I've been running proxy servers for years, know how
they decide how/when to cache/etc. And yet after explicitly testing to see
if that was the problem, and concluding it wasn't, I then send that message
to the list and 10 minutes later my problem has disappeared...

Sheezh.

[we have an upstream proxy we have no control over, and who is known to
aggressively cache - I'll lay the blame with them :-) ["it wasn't me -
honest!"])

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417