[Snort-sigs] Re: snortrules-current not updated since 22 - July

Brian bmc at ...95...
Sun Aug 11 18:17:01 EDT 2002

According to Jason Haar:
> No - there is a problem.
>
> If you dig down through the Web pages, you are told the rules are:
>
> http://www.snort.org/dl/signatures/snortrules.tar.gz
>
> However, this file is OLD - May 14th by the looks of it.
>
> If you download:
>
> http://www.snort.org/dl/snortrules.tar.gz
>
> Then you get the new rules.
>
> Can someone fix that please?

the two files you listed are the same file.  Symlinks are your friend.
The old URL /dl/snortrules.tar.gz exists only because that was the
location on the old site.  Many people use automatic downloading
tools.  Because of this, I symlink all of the snapshot URLs that we
have ever used to the current snapshot URL.

Yes, the 1.8.7 signatures ARE not synced as often as CURRENT.

--
Sometimes I'm too far into how things work in my world to think about how
everyone else looks at this problem space or how other technologies work.