[Snort-sigs] SMTP versus POP3

Shane Manners shane.manners at ...567...
Sun Apr 28 19:45:05 EDT 2002

For mail gateway av scanning (linux users) have a look at:

http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/

-Shane

-----Original Message-----
From: Imran William Smith [mailto:iwsmith at ...500...]
Sent: Monday, April 29, 2002 12:15 PM
To: snort-sigs at lists.sourceforge.net
Cc: sazli at ...500...
Subject: Re: [Snort-sigs] SMTP versus POP3

While we're on the subject of Viruses, the guy who installed our corporate
anti-virus solution (trend micro, plugged in to squid proxy, I heard) said
although snort has a open source effort for IDS signatures, there is no
comparative open source effort for virus signatures (i.e. trying to make an
open source antivirus solution, with no payment for up-to-date signatures).

Isn't that a shame?  Anybody though of doing something about it?  I
appreciate that a lot of the hard work is developing the internal engine
that the signatures read into.

Of if there is such a thing, could anybody give URLs?

Thanks

Imran William Smith
Security Products Development
Mimos Bhd, Malaysia