[Snort-sigs] SMTP versus POP3

Imran William Smith iwsmith at ...500...
Sun Apr 28 19:16:02 EDT 2002

While we're on the subject of Viruses, the guy who installed
our corporate anti-virus solution (trend micro, plugged in to
squid proxy, I heard) said although snort has a open source
effort for IDS signatures, there is no comparative open source
effort for virus signatures (i.e. trying to make an open source
antivirus solution, with no payment for up-to-date signatures).

Isn't that a shame?  Anybody though of doing something about
it?  I appreciate that a lot of the hard work is developing the
internal engine that the signatures read into.

Of if there is such a thing, could anybody give URLs?

Thanks

Imran William Smith
Security Products Development
Mimos Bhd, Malaysia