[Snort-sigs] Odd scans from 192.244.23.1

Robert Wagner rwagner at ...447...
Tue Apr 23 12:27:25 EDT 2002

1) Thanks for the tip.
2) We have not been using IRC.  I know it looks like a typical syn-ack
response to a syn packet, but it cannot be - There isn't a server connected
at the ip in question.

I agree that it appears to be IRCish traffic, but why the change in ports?

I believe someone has DDOS bots looking for traffic from this server that
only respond to an initial syn-ack, thus avoiding detection by a scanner
that would send out syn or syn-fin packet.  Who in their right mind would
suspect a syn-ack packet going to a high port like this?  I would contend
that this traffic would be ignored by 99.9% of the people monitoring IDS,
the rest would just ignore it because of the type of traffic.

I would still like to know if anyone is monitoring traffic above 1023 that
isn't originating from their network or going to their firewall.

The other posiblity is someone has spoofed our IP.  Although in doing so
they would not get any data back.  Maybe just trying to generate a lot of
noise for the IRC server?