[Snort-sigs] RING signature - questions from a novice sig writer

David Bellizzi dbelliz at ...549...
Mon Apr 22 16:30:02 EDT 2002

My apologies if this has been gone over before. Has anyone developed a signature for the RING OS fingerprinting tool?  After reading the docs I have cobbled together something but I am unsure if I am doing things right,

alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET any (msg:"Possible RING Scan";flags:SA; classtype:attempted-recon; tag: host, 10, packets, dest;)

Thanks
db

P.S. Here is the relase info on RING.

Carefully studying the way TCP works, especially some timer value
inside the TCP stack, we have derived on a new technique for remote OS
detection, based on temporal response analysis.

The idea is quite simple: send a TCP SYN packet to an open port on a
remote system, and listen the different answers (usually successive
SYN/ACK packets). By measuring the number of response, the delay
between retries, and the optional presence of a "RST" packet after a
few answers, we can easily recognize some operating systems.
The nice thing is that it only required to send one packet on an open
TCP port, which make this method really quiet.

As a proof of concept, we also developed a standalone tool "RING"
that will perform these testings and identifications, using a signature
file.

A patch for Nmap-2.54BETA32 is being prepared and should be released
anytime soon
At the moment, ring and nmap OS fingerprinting methods are launched
simulteamously
but results aren't merged for better accuracy.
If you want to try this patch, please send me an
email(ring at ...550...).

More information is available at:
http://www.intranode.com/site/techno/techno_articles.htm

The open source tool can be downloaded from:
http://www.intranode.com/pdf/techno/ring-0.0.1.tar.gz

The open source tool for Linux2.4 kernel can be downloaded from:
http://www.intranode.com/pdf/techno/ring-0.0.1-Linux-2.4.tar.gz

The full, 13 pages, white paper is available at:
http://www.intranode.com/pdf/techno/ring-full-paper.pdf

We will be very happy to get your feedback on this technique.
Feel free to contact us at: ring at ...550...

Thanks,
Olivier