[Snort-sigs] new hope, this is the rigt place to ask

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...189...
Wed Nov 7 11:02:03 EST 2001

The latest registry of ICMP message types and codes can be found at:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/icmp-parameters

ICMP type 19 is reserved "for security".

None of the many ICMP types (including type 8) has a code 19 defined.

A bit of further research shows that type 19 was used in devising a
proposed "ICMP traceback" security mechanism for tracing DoS attacks. A
small amount of information on this is in this PDF (no meat, just overview
slides but enough to glean an idea of what is up with this from).

http://hickory.csc.ncsu.edu/itrace_proj/itrace_proj/presentation_slides.pdf