[Snort-openappid] Unknown preprocessor: "appid" while installing OPENAPPID

Rishabh Shah rishabh420 at ...8...
Thu Feb 5 07:07:55 EST 2015

Hi Snort Team,

Hope you are doing well.

I am installing Snort and OpenAPPID on my UBUNTU machine(Ubuntu 14.04.1
LTS). I was following the instructions listed on this
<http://blog.snort.org/2014/03/openappid-install-video.html> website. I am
hitting an issue in the 5th Step- Enabling OpenAppID in Snort.
I appended preprocessor appid : app_stats_filename appstats-unified.log,
app_stats_period 60, app_detector_dir /usr/local/lib/openappid in the
snort.conf file and executed [snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -T] to check
if the configuration was clean or not. I ran in to the following error
message:
Reputation config:
WARNING: Can't find any whitelist/blacklist entries. Reputation
Preprocessor disabled.
*ERROR: /etc/snort/snort.conf(515) Unknown preprocessor: "appid".*
Fatal Error, Quitting..

Some details on Snort:
   ,,_     -*> Snort! <*-
  o"  )~   Version 2.9.7.0 GRE (Build 149)
   ''''    By Martin Roesch & The Snort Team:
http://www.snort.org/contact#team
           Copyright (C) 2014 Cisco and/or its affiliates. All rights
reserved.
           Copyright (C) 1998-2013 Sourcefire, Inc., et al.
           Using libpcap version 1.5.3
           Using PCRE version: 8.31 2012-07-06
           Using ZLIB version: 1.2.8

Can you help me to debug this issue? Many thanks in advance!!

Regards,
Rishabh Shah.