[Snort-openappid] Gmail detection

Fri Oct 31 12:46:59 EDT 2014

Sabu,

We have actually released a new version of our detector package today at https://www.snort.org/downloads, in which we have also included the fix for this issue.

Feel free to download that one and make sure that your version of the odp package would be the following:

odp/version.conf

VERSION=223

Let us know if you are still seeing more issues after you test it with this one.

From: Sabu Thaliyath <sabu.thaliyath at ...8...<mailto:sabu.thaliyath at ...8...>>
Date: Friday, October 31, 2014 at 12:35 PM
To: "Snort-openappid at lists.sourceforge.net<mailto:Snort-openappid at ...7...rceforge.net>" <Snort-openappid at lists.sourceforge.net<mailto:Snort-openappid at lists.sourceforge.net>>
Subject: Re: [Snort-openappid] Gmail detection

Hi Costas,

I am facing the same issue as Payman. Tried tweaking ' openappid/odp/lua/ssl_host_group_belvedere.lua ' to get gmail blocked. But no luck. I see none of the https websites or applications getting blocked.

Is there any documentation on how lua/ssl_host_group_belvedere.lua works ? I read Opensource Detectors developer guide but still couldn't figure out much.

Any plans to fix this issue ?

Regards,
Sabu

Re: [Snort-openappid] Gmail detection<http://sourceforge.net/p/snort/mailman/message/32704933/>
From: Costas Kleopa (ckleopa) <ckleopa at ...49...> - 2014-08-11 14:45:14

Payman,

Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

The correct configuration files for gmail are with the use of the the SSL Host patterns.
If you see the openappid/odp/lua/ssl_host_group_belvedere.lua we have the following patterns now.

 { 0, 655, '*.mail.google.com<http://mail.google.com/>' },

 { 0, 655, 'imap.gmail.com<http://imap.gmail.com/>' },

We will put the fix for this in our next release to allow the proper SSL patterns from gmail.com<http://gmail.com/> and mail.google.com<http://mail.google.com/>.