[Snort-openappid] Gmail detection

Mike Stepanek (mstepane) mstepane at ...5...
Fri Nov 7 15:57:23 EST 2014

Sabu -

Correct.  Your IE and Firefox are backing off to SSLv3 when their TLS attempt is being blocked.  Unfortunately, the SSLv3 handshake is skirting our detector.  Chrome, however, is not backing off to SSLv3, so it's effectively blocked.  This is being worked on and will be fixed in a future release.

Thanks for the feedback!

- Mike Stepanek
   mstepane at ...5...

From: Sabu Thaliyath [mailto:sabu.thaliyath at ...8...]
Sent: Monday, November 03, 2014 8:12 AM
To: Costas Kleopa (ckleopa)
Cc: Snort-openappid at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-openappid] Gmail detection

Hi Costas,

I tried "-k none" and "-P 9000" options also but no luck again.

However, I have a new observation this time. I see gmail getting blocked when I used Chrome38 browser but not while using IE10 or Firefox27. I tried with old as well as new detector and found that gmail is blocked on both when I use Chrome.

Here are my rules (drop rule) :-

drop tcp [any] any <> any any (msg : "bing:drop"; appid: bing; sid:100000; rev:4; )
drop udp [any] any <> any any (msg : "bing:drop"; appid: bing; sid:100004; rev:4; )
drop tcp [any] any <> any any (msg : "gmail:drop"; appid: gmail; sid:100010; rev:4; )
drop udp [any] any <> any any (msg : "gmail:drop"; appid: gmail; sid:100014; rev:4; )
drop tcp [any] any <> any any (msg : "google_accounts:drop"; appid: google_accounts; sid:100017; rev:4; )
drop udp [any] any <> any any (msg : "google_accounts:drop"; appid: google_accounts; sid:100018; rev:4; )
drop tcp [any] any <> any any (msg : "google_drive:drop"; appid: google_drive; sid:100019; rev:4; )
drop udp [any] any <> any any (msg : "google_drive:drop"; appid: google_drive; sid:100020; rev:4; )
I am attaching here in this email

1) Alert and Drop output of gmail   (both from IE and Chrome)
2) Alert and drop Pcap files (both from IE and Chrome)

Regards,
Sabu