[Snort-openappid] [Snort-users] Snort limitations

Nicholas Mavis (nmavis) nmavis at ...5...
Fri Mar 28 12:26:15 EDT 2014

Vernon definitely provided some good information and I would recommend checking out the link he provided. Most performance issues can attributed to running far to many rules, using poorly written rules, or large single stream flows.

Also, you are completely right, in larger environments multiple Snort instances are utilized in order to gain better performance.

Nick

From: <Stark>, "Vernon L." <Vernon.Stark at ...15...<mailto:Vernon.Stark at ...18......>>
Date: Thursday, March 27, 2014 at 7:58 PM
To: nmavis <nmavis at ...5...<mailto:nmavis at ...5...>>, Ayoub Abid <abid.ayoub at ...8...<mailto:abid.ayoub at ...8...>>, snort-users <snort-users at ...19...orge.net<mailto:snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net>>, "snort-openappid at ...14....sourceforge.net<mailto:snort-openappid at lists.sourceforge.net>" <snort-openappid at lists.sourceforge.net<mailto:snort-openappid at lists.sourceforge.net>>
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] Snort limitations

Ayoub,

You may want to look at tuning Snort to improve performance.  Steven Sturges wrote a great document on tuning Snort (http://www.snort.org/assets/163/WhitePaper_Snort_PerformanceTuning_2009.pdf).  An example parameter that can be modified is server_flow_depth.  Depending upon the characteristics of traffic on your network, a change in this parameter may make a very large difference in how Snort performs.

Also, as Nick indicates below, more CPU and memory may be required to achieve adequate performance in your environment.  I suspect most environments run Snort on hosts with many processors and a large amount of memory and divide the network traffic among multiple instances of Snort.

Vern