[Snort-openappid] snort-2.9.7.0_beta u2streamer memory issue

Wed Aug 13 08:46:42 EDT 2014

Peyman,

Can you confirm the exact OS, and memory you are using to test this?

From: Peyman Gohari <peyman.gohari.pub at ...8...<mailto:peyman.gohari.pub at ...39...8...>>
Date: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 at 8:32 PM
To: "snort-openappid at lists.sourceforge.net<mailto:snort-openappid at ...7...rceforge.net>" <snort-openappid at lists.sourceforge.net<mailto:snort-openappid at lists.sourceforge.net>>
Subject: [Snort-openappid] snort-2.9.7.0_beta u2streamer memory issue

Hi

  I am running snort-2.9.7.0_beta with openappid on an ARM7 platform.
  u2streamer fails with the following message:

   u2streamer --path=/var/log/snort --name=appstats-unified.log  Looking with timestamp: 0
*** glibc detected *** u2streamer: free(): invalid next size (normal): 0x000140f0 ***
Aborted

  Having a look at the code shows that the malloc in u2streamer.c may be the source of the issue:

static int ParseCommandLine(int argc, char *argv[])
{
 case 'n':
                config.name<http://config.name> = malloc(strlen(optarg))+2;

  Having increased the memory allocated by the malloc prevents the crash, but I am still not getting any log added to /var/log/auth.log

  What am I missing?

Thanks!
PG