[Snort-devel] What is SO rule actually?

Russ rucombs at cisco.com
Tue Mar 26 08:17:50 EDT 2019

Hey Damian,

Sorry for the late reply.  SO ("shared object") rules are similar to
Talos text rules but they contain custom detection logic implemented in
C++.  They are loaded when Snort starts from dynamic libraries, which
typically have a .so extension on Linux.  There are several steps to get
an SO rule working properly and an example is required to make it
clear.  Unfortunately we don't have an example in snort3_demo, but we
will push one out by end of week.  That will contain everything you need
to get rolling.

Thanks
Russ