[Snort-devel] Odd bug when using alert_json plugin

Noah Dietrich noah_dietrich at 86penny.org
Sat Jun 16 05:37:08 EDT 2018

Ok, i think I've figured out what's going on with this issue, but I'm not
sure it's a good idea the way things are working.

What seems to happen is when you start Snort3, it begins filling the
alert_json.txt file.  Once that file hits the limit (say 100 MB), Snort
re-names this file to alert_json.txt.nnnnnnnnnn, where the n's represent
the unixtime of when the file was re-named.  Snort then creates a new
alert_json.txt file (without the unixtime), and continues to write new
events to that file.

The issues i see with this method of rollover are that log-monitoring
programs won't be expecting file names to change.  So i'd be forced to only
consume only log files with the unixtime portion, meaning i wouldn't get to
consume new events until the log rolled over. If i consumed events from the
original file, there is a good chance that i'd also re-consume (duplicate)
those events again when the filename was renamed.

My request is that when snort starts, it just outputs it's events to a new
file, with the unixtime appended to the filename(
alert_json.txt.nnnnnnnnnn) , and not output to  alert_json.txt at any time,
and especially not rename files. This will ensure that there are no issues
ingesting this data into SIEMs like Splunk or the ELK stack.

Thank you,
Noah