[Snort-devel] Versioned rulesets and release schedule

mike mike at flyn.org
Mon Aug 20 13:29:32 EDT 2018

>> First, does the Snort team provide a versioned tarball of the
>> community rules available at:
>>

> https://www.snort.org/downloads/community/snort3-community-rules.tar.gz
>> ?
>>
>> The trouble with the unversioned tarball is that it seems to change
>> over time.

[...]

> Versioned, as in... what?

Something like snort3-community-rules-X.Y.Z.tar.gz. The point I am
trying to make from a distribution packager point of view is that the
URL should always point to the same object with the same hash. Changing
the object referenced by the URL and thus invalidating the hash
unpredictably causes a build failure in a packaging system which works
like OpenWrt's.

To put it another way, an update to snort3-community-rules-X.Y.Z.tar.gz
could exist as snort3-community-rules-X.Y.(Z+1).tar.gz. This would leave
the URL pointing to snort3-community-rules-X.Y.Z.tar.gz intact. Thus an
OpenWrt package would continue to build using X.Y.Z up to the point the
packager updates the OpenWrt package to instead make use of X.Y.(Z+1).

--
Mike
:wq