[Snort-devel] Final Year Project Custom MySQL Database Server Rules and Classifications Review

DFIRob rd.seclists at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 18:02:25 EDT 2018

Hi Jack,

First I think you should loop in snort-users on this, since snort-devel is
really not the place for rule writing. Then Joel will jump on you saying
https://www.snort.org/faq/can-i-have-help-with-my-homework, and will be
totally right in this case.
Nonetheless ignoring this...

Second, if $EXTERNAL_NET can talk to $SQL_SERVERS, you have a problem snort
won't be able to fix. What you probably want is $HTTP_SERVERS
Third, and I'd love to have some feedback on this one, when you do
flow:to_server,established; and flags:PA; in the same rule, what does this
mean exactly? Is this possible? Do we look for all sessions that start with
a push-ack? What about the sessions that don't? And what about your TTL
flag? Do this apply to all the packets in the session?
Fourth, about your dos attacks, you probably want to track_by_src, if not
you're just tracking high usage of your application. But then again if your
$SQL_SERVERS are reachable from $EXTERNAL_NET...
Fifth, regarding sid:1000101, how is your false positive rate going? Have
you tested this on any real application?
---
# Tautology SQL injection rule, searches for SELECT statement in a tcp
packet and pcre parameter matches any 'n' = 'n' attempt on mysql with a
packet that has time to live of 128 (usual) with push and acknowlege flags
set in a mysql tcp packet request established to the mysql server with push
and ack flags set, main aim of this rule is to detect 'n' = 'n' queries,
works! #
# alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $SQL_SERVERS 3306 (msg:"MYSQL-EXPLOIT
Potential SQL Injection detected using tautology on the MySQL server";
flow:to_server,established; pcre:"/\'[0-99]{1,}\'\s\=\s\'[0-99]{1,}\'/i";
fast_pattern:only; ttl:128; flags:PA; reference:url,
https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1203/1203.3324.pdf; reference:url,
https://www.debuggex.com/cheatsheet/regex/pcre; metadata:policy
security-ips drop, service mysql; classtype:sql-injection; sid:1000101;
rev:11;)
---
Best regards,
Rob'