[Snort-devel] Can't read data_log output file (empty)

Ronin CS ronincs17 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 18:20:22 EDT 2017

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to better understand how to handle events inside Snort++ using
data_log inspector as example. But at the moment, I can't really read the
output file because it's always empty for me.

Until now, I did the following changes to snort.lua:

- Added a new line "data_log = { key = 'http_raw_uri' }
- Changed the "http_inspector = { }" to "http_server = { }"
(As recommended here: http://marc.info/?l=snort-users&m=147422221322032&w=2)

And ran the command:

"sudo snort -c /opt/snort/etc/snort/snort.lua -R
/opt/snort/etc/snort/samples.rules -r http.cap -A alert_ex --plugin-path
/opt/snort/lib/snort_extra"

The http.cap I'm using is the one located at https://wiki.wireshark.org/
SampleCaptures

What am I missing here?