[Snort-devel] snort dns Preprocessor

Seshaiah Erugu (serugu) serugu at ...3461...
Sat May 7 09:21:51 EDT 2016

Hi Rohan,

Can you try with the packet direction flag ? Please print REQUEST if packet direction is from CLIENT.

Thanks,
Seshaiah Erugu.

From: rohan dora [mailto:dora.rohan at ...2499...]
Sent: Friday, May 06, 2016 4:47 PM
To: Seshaiah Erugu (serugu) <serugu at ...3461...>
Cc: snort-devel at lists.sourceforge.net; snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-devel] snort dns Preprocessor

Thanks Seshaiah, i have added code(Simple if condition) in ProcessDns to track DNS query.

p = (SFSnortPacket*) packetPtr;

   if(p->src_port==53) printf("DNS Response\n");
   if(p->dst_port==53) printf("DNS Request\n");

After adding , i do make,make install and then use nslookup to issue a DNS query.

However, i never see "DNS Request" printed on console.

So how will we track the DNS requests,because i think snort is handling packet sniffing/capture part(user needn't look for it).

Please correct me if i am going wrong.