[Snort-devel] Snort 2.9.8.0 can't detect hits over fragmented packets using multiple policies

Jon Larson jon at ...3287...
Mon Jan 25 19:34:01 EST 2016

Using netcat and fragroute I created a TCP stream that contains some
content that triggers a rule hit.  The content spans multiple TCP
packets.  If I run this with a simple configuration with one policy,
snort properly detects the rule hit.  However, when I run it with the
following:

config binding: policy1.conf vlan 100
config binding: policy1.conf policy_id 1
config binding: policy2.conf vlan 101
config binding: policy2.conf policy_id 2

I get no rule hit (the traffic is on vlan 100).  The above has three
policies:  the default one and the above two.  The policy1.conf file has
the rule that should have been hit.  I have lines in the default policy,
policy1.conf and policy2.conf that load stream5_tcp like this:

preprocessor stream5_tcp: policy windows, detect_anomalies, require_3whs
180, ...

I don't know how it could work given the code in the
spp_session.c:initializeSessionPreproc, that only does this once:

         AddFuncToPreprocList(sc, sessionPacketProcessor,
PP_SESSION_PRIORITY, PP_SESSION, PROTO_BIT__ALL);

because up above is the check:
     if (session_configuration == NULL).

As such stream5 will only be enabled for the default configuration.

Is this a known issue with 2.9.8.0 or perhaps I'm missing something?  I
tested this using snort 2.9.6.2 and it works fine.

TIA,
Jon L.