[Snort-devel] HyperScan

Jaime Nebrera jnebrera at ...3500...
Wed Oct 21 04:06:02 EDT 2015

   Hi all,

   Intel announced just yesterday that it was open sourcing HyperScan
pattern matching engine: https://01.org/hyperscan

   Funny enough, an Intel employee made a presentation about HyperScan
in last DPDK Summit event in Dublin
(http://www.slideshare.net/harryvanhaaren/hyperscan-mohammad-abdul-awal), and
at the time seemed quite weird as they stated it was a "proprietary
product" and that "was not available as part of DPDK". Now it makes full
sense :D

   As a brief introduction, HyperScan is the commercial name of a
technology developed by Sensory Networks that Intel aquired some time
ago. Sensory used to work with FPGA based cards when it started, and
later on opted for a "software only" mode when they saw the numbers were
"on pair". This is the technology that has ended up as HyperScan. I
guess some other members can contribute with more info here, I'm pretty
sure it is used in McAfee products, but don't know about others.

   At the time, they had a ported Snort version able to use this
software. Seems this piece has not been open sourced. I don't know if
they plan to do so or not.

   Either way, it would be great to hear your opinion on this technology.

   Our team plans to start working on porting Snort to use this engine
ASAP, and would kindly welcome anybody interested in collaborating with
the effort.

   We will create a branch in our Snort Github project

   Regards