[Snort-devel] Bad -M option (or manual)

elof at ...969... elof at ...969...
Thu Mar 26 10:07:39 EDT 2015

After I upgraded from 2.9.7.0 to 2.9.7.2 (on FreeBSD), syslogging stopped
working. I had to remove -q and _not_ add -M to get snort to syslog again.

You should update the manual to say something like this:

  -q     Quiet operation. Don't display banner and initialization
         information.
  -q     Quiet operation. Don't display (or in daemon mode don't syslog)
         banner and initialization information.

  -M     Log console messages to syslog when not running daemon mode.
         This switch has no impact on logging of alerts.
  -M     Log console messages to syslog when not running in daemon mode.
         Using both -D and -M will instead mute all messages to syslog
         including e.g. SIGUSR1 stats.
         The -M switch has no impact on logging of alerts.

...and perhaps update the release notes in changelog_2.9.7.2.txt with this
information.

/Elof