[Snort-devel] Bus errors and segmentation faults after upgrade to 2.9.7.3 and daq 2.0.5

elof at ...969... elof at ...969...
Wed Jun 3 05:51:43 EDT 2015


Hi all!

This is just a report to inform that after I updated snort and DAQ to the 
latest versions, one of my sensors started throwing signal 10 (bus error) 
and signal 11 (segmentation fault).

# uptime
11:32AM  up 1 day,  9:48, 1 user, load averages: 0.36, 0.37, 0.38
# dmesg | grep snort
pid 1183 (snort), uid 100: exited on signal 11
pid 16920 (snort), uid 100: exited on signal 11
pid 17502 (snort), uid 100: exited on signal 11
pid 18862 (snort), uid 100: exited on signal 11
pid 20223 (snort), uid 100: exited on signal 11
pid 20927 (snort), uid 100: exited on signal 11
pid 1193 (snort), uid 100: exited on signal 11
pid 2447 (snort), uid 100: exited on signal 11
pid 3811 (snort), uid 100: exited on signal 10
pid 7881 (snort), uid 100: exited on signal 11
pid 9252 (snort), uid 100: exited on signal 10
pid 25593 (snort), uid 100: exited on signal 11
pid 26627 (snort), uid 100: exited on signal 11
pid 56658 (snort), uid 100: exited on signal 11
pid 57237 (snort), uid 100: exited on signal 10
pid 58595 (snort), uid 100: exited on signal 11
pid 68639 (snort), uid 100: exited on signal 11
pid 70008 (snort), uid 100: exited on signal 11
pid 71361 (snort), uid 100: exited on signal 10
pid 72725 (snort), uid 100: exited on signal 11

20 crashes in a day...
A reboot didn't help.

This sensor has never behaved like this during its lifetime (1 year).




FreeBSD 9.3 amd64

    ,,_     -*> Snort! <*-
   o"  )~   Version 2.9.7.3 (Build 217)
    ''''    By Martin Roesch & The Snort Team: 
http://www.snort.org/contact#team
            Copyright (C) 2014-2015 Cisco and/or its affiliates. All rights 
reserved.
            Copyright (C) 1998-2013 Sourcefire, Inc., et al.
            Using libpcap version 1.4.0
            Using PCRE version: 8.37 2015-04-28
            Using ZLIB version: 1.2.8

daq-2.0.5



Bus errors are quite unusual in general, so I'll keep looking at this, 
trying to see if it is e.g. paging errors.
It doesn't look like it though:
# swapinfo
Device          1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity
/dev/mirror/swap   4194300        0  4194300     0%

The machine doesn't seem to be overheated either:
System Temp:	30 degrees C
Peripheral Temp: 40 degrees C
CPU Temp: Low


If you need me to do something special to debug this further, let me know.


PS. It is only one sensor, out of 20, that behaves like this. So perhaps 
it is something in the mirrored traffic that make DAQ or snort point at 
illegal memory addresses and crash.
Or this particular machine is having hardware issues. However, it is 
strange that those hw-issues should suddenly start right after I updated 
the software on the machine...

When I write this, the current snort process has been alive for 5 hours. 
It's going to be interesting to see if the traffic tonight will cause it 
to crash many times again.

/Elof




More information about the Snort-devel mailing list