[Snort-devel] Large Packet Drop with SNort-2.9.80 as compared to Snort-2.9.7.6

Nageswara Rao A.V.K (navk) navk at ...3461...
Mon Dec 14 22:13:51 EST 2015

Hi Dheeraj,
   We need more info to get in to conclusion.

Are you passing same traffic in both scenario’s??

Did you verify snort logs ??
You may know the reason for pkt drops.

We did not notice this problems in our observation.
More details may help us to analyze the problem.

Best Regards,
-ANR

From: Dheeraj Gupta [mailto:dheeraj.gupta4 at ...2499...]
Sent: Monday, December 14, 2015 11:30 AM
To: snort-devel at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-devel] Large Packet Drop with SNort-2.9.80 as compared to Snort-2.9.7.6

Hi,
I just upgraded to Snort-2.9.8.0 from Snort-2.9.7.6. Before the upgrade one of my sensors showed (somewhat expected) packet drops. However, after the upgrade the packet drop increased significantly even though the number of rules decreased (as SO rules are not in use with 2.9.8.0). I am still using Snort-2.9.7.6 rulesets (as advised by you).
Here is a snip from my snort.stats file for 2.9.8.0

#time,pkt_drop_percent,wire_mbits_per_sec.realtime
1450068900,33.873,124.415
1450069200,23.718,121.253
1450069500,26.014,120.349
1450069800,26.368,120.821
1450070100,23.706,116.493
1450070400,21.039,121.363
For Snort-2.9.7.6, the snip is
#time,pkt_drop_percent,wire_mbits_per_sec.realtime
1450071180,0.000,79.159
1450071480,0.000,118.671
1450071780,2.146,132.186
1450072080,8.337,130.408

Looking at end-of-snort stats. This is for 2.9.8.0

Packet I/O Totals:
   Analyzed:    388361098 ( 48.270%)
    Dropped:    298207658 ( 27.042%)
   Filtered:    415840607 ( 51.685%)
   Outstanding:       362087 (  0.045%)
   Injected:            0

And this is for 2.9.7.6

Packet I/O Totals:
   Analyzed:     30035104 ( 49.262%)
    Dropped:       742645 (  1.203%)
   Filtered:     30927585 ( 50.726%)
   Outstanding:         7197 (  0.012%)
   Injected:            0
I have a longish BPF filter, so is the filtered count an indication of the amount of traffic which was filtered by that filter?
Also is dropped count a subset of analyzed count or received count? I ask this because it appears
received_count = analyzed + filtered
so dropped_count doesn't really fit in

Regards,
Dheeraj