[Snort-devel] Possible to configure snort for an alternative to /etc for default conf. files?

Rich Burridge rich.burridge at ...3515...
Thu Sep 25 17:20:08 EDT 2014

Hi,

Is it possible to build snort from source (a configure option that I'm
overlooking
perhaps), so that it looks for its various default configuration files (like
snort.conf) under (say) /etc/snort instead of directly under /etc ?

I did notice:

--sysconfdir=DIR        read-only single-machine data [PREFIX/etc]

when I did "configure --help", but I'm not sure that's the solution.
 From a quick
glance at the snort source code, looking directly under "/etc/" seems to
be baked in.

I do know about the "-c" runtime option to allow a different conf file,
but I'm the guy
that creates the snort package for Solaris. I've been asked to consider
that the default
install for snort config files should be /etc/snort/... rather that
/etc, so as not to
"pollute" /etc.

I'm just trying to determine if it's (easily) possible to do.

Thanks.