[Snort-devel] Randomness in Snort engine

Hyunseok hyunseok at ...1117...
Thu Sep 11 12:33:36 EDT 2014

Hi,

I have one question about Snort.

I was running Snort in offline mode by feeding a tcpdump packet trace to it.

I expected that Snort analysis result would be identical when I re-run
Snort multiple times with the same packet trace.

However, I noticed that the the total packets processed is slightly
different across different runs, which affects other analysis results.

result.0:    Total packets processed:              230718
result.1:    Total packets processed:              230720
result.2:    Total packets processed:              230722
result.3:    Total packets processed:              230721

Do you guys have any idea where this slight randomness comes from in Snort?

I'm using the default snort configuration with default rule sets.

This question might be user-oriented, but I thought developers may have a
better idea on the root cause.

Thanks,
-HS