[Snort-devel] Missing all dynamic files - snort won't start

elof at ...969... elof at ...969...
Wed Nov 5 12:15:45 EST 2014

ERROR: /foo/etc/snort.conf(125) Could not stat dynamic
module path "/usr/local/lib/snort/dynamicengine/libsf_engine.so": No such
file or directory.
Fatal Error, Quitting..

I don't know if this is a FreeBSD ports issue or something new in snort
2.9.7.0 in general, but it seems all the dynamic libs have moved.

So, my snort.conf expect to find its libs here:
/usr/local/lib/snort/dynamic_output
/usr/local/lib/snort/dynamic_preproc
/usr/local/lib/snort/dynamicengine
/usr/local/lib/snort/dynamicpreprocessor

...while the new snort package puts some here:

/usr/local/lib/snort/dynamic_output/libsf_dynamic_output.a
/usr/local/lib/snort/dynamic_preproc/libsf_dynamic_preproc.a

...and the rest of the files here:

/usr/local/lib/snort_dynamicengine/*
/usr/local/lib/snort_dynamicpreprocessor/*

1)
Is this a typo, where snort_dynamicengine and snort_dynamicpreprocessor
should have a slash instead of an underscore ?
If not, why move *some* files to new dirs? Confusing.

2)
The snort.conf included in the package contain the same configuration
statements as I use in my current snort.conf:
   dynamicpreprocessor directory /usr/local/lib/snort/dynamicpreprocessor/
   dynamicengine /usr/local/lib/snort/dynamicengine/libsf_engine.so

The dir /usr/local/lib/snort/dynamicpreprocessor/ is empty and
/usr/local/lib/snort/dynamicengine/libsf_engine.so does not exist.

So either fix the paths in 1) or update the example snort.conf included in
the package with correct paths.

3)
If this wasn't a typo and files have really moved, please make a note of
it in the ports/UPDATING log, since this is a major change that will cause
snort to quit with a fatal error.
(last log entry is 20120723 when the database output module got deprecated)

/Elof