[Snort-devel] snort option [-n packet-count ]

Steven Sturges ststurge at ...3461...
Fri May 23 00:09:48 EDT 2014

On 5/22/14, 8:43 PM, ratheesh kannoth wrote:
> On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 7:55 PM, Steve Sturges (ststurge)
> <ststurge at ...3461...> wrote:
>
>> Yes, one packet at a time.
>> Once snort is finished with a packet, it returns from callback to the daq module and waits for next packet.
> SourceFire production systems also uses same design ?. It looks like
> one packet at a time wont give much performance
Same Snort.  You'd be amazed at performance.  :)

>> That is up to the daq module... Basically If inline, that is the id (arbitrary per daq module) of the interface where packets are sent out.  If passive, it isn't set.
> Could you pls explain a little bit more  here ? Even if we configure
> it as inline , verdict is made for each packet . So we know from where
> the packet has come and where it has to go. ?
> I agree that if  packet  is  put into DAQ layer using daq_reinject
> routine (by snort ) , may be we dont have those ( egress and ingress
> interface info ). I am not very sure on this statement ?
Yes, at some layer, there should be knowledge about the incoming
interface, and the outgoing interface.  DAQ module can provide
that information to Snort.  The verdict only tells the DAQ that the
packet should be allowed, blocked, etc....

When Snort does an inject, it is up to DAQ module to send out the
correct interface -- having the ID in the DAQ header would certainly
help from my perspective, but that is dependent on the implementation
of the DAQ module itself.