[Snort-devel] Control socket and daemon mode

Eugenio Pérez eupm90 at ...2499...
Wed Jun 4 05:18:09 EDT 2014

Hi everyone!

I've found an issue in snort v2.9.6.1. When I'm trying to use control
socket with snort in daemon mode, I get no response from snort.

I've found that it is caused by mixing threads and fork calls. Currently,
snort creates the control socket thread before doing the fork, so the
children cannot access to CS thread anymore.

I've just delayed the call to ControlSocketInit() from SnortInit() to
SnortStartThreads(), and now it works fine to me. I don't know if this have
any other side effect.

Waiting for responses, opinions and suggestions.