[Snort-devel] Need help to know which files to be changed in Dynamic preprocessor starter kit

Amtul Saboor saboor.amtul at ...2499...
Fri Nov 22 03:18:44 EST 2013

Hello,

I am student of information security. But please note that this is not my
assignment, and I am myself searching on customizing snort and work on it.

I have downloaded the DPX (sample dynamic preprocessor) from the following
official link:

http://www.snort.org/snort-downloads/dynamic-preprocessor-starter-kit/

*And I am successfully running it. This preprocessor tells if source and
destination ports match, it tells it against a pcap file already stored.
The main code is written in dpx.c file, while the other files are not
making much sense to me.*

*Please help me to know which of the following files need to get changed if
i want to make my own preprocessor to find average number of pings per
second (just an example) or anything else.*

I have these files in the preprocessor "src" file:

1) dpx.c,
2) libdpx.la
3) makefile
4) makefile.am