[Snort-devel] Enquiry Sourcefire VRT Rules Update

Joel Esler jesler at ...402...
Mon Jan 21 08:48:28 EST 2013

Rules are disabled for a multitude of reasons.  Some being speed, age, possible false positive rate, or amount of alerts it will generate.

For instance some of the alerts you outline below are things like the "ping".  This would alert on a customer's network possibly millions of times a day, and therefore isn't very useful.

We recommend you begin with one of our default policies (connectivity, balanced, or security) and tune from there.  We recommend using PulledPork for this job.

--
Joel Esler
Senior Research Engineer, VRT