[Snort-devel] The detect function

Russ Combs rcombs at ...402...
Wed Jan 2 13:33:20 EST 2013

Suggest looking at your packet(s) in something like wireshark to see what
the encapsulations are.  In wireshark, open the "Frame" to view "Protocols
in frame".  You may see something like "eth:vlan:ip:tcp:http" or
"eth:ip:gre:ppp:ip:tcp:http".  That latter has GRE (you can google that)
and requires that Snort be built with GRE support (enabled by default).
Please send a pcap if that doesn't get you moving.