[Snort-devel] File magic rules for 2.9.6, what options are required?

Joshua Kinard kumba at ...2185...
Fri Dec 27 16:39:20 EST 2013

On 12/27/2013 1:52 PM, Hui Cao wrote:
> Hi Joshhua,
>
> Thanks for the great feedbacks.
>
> In general, file magic rule should be relative stable, so we just keep
> file magic rule syntax simple on this release. Please see my comments
> inline.

Another question: Can there be multiple content/offset keywords per file
magic rule?  It looks like ParseFileContent is setting up a linked list of
MagicData structs, with each MagicData struct holding an offset int, magic
pattern, and pattern length.

If that's the case...are subsequent contents relative to each other?  Or at
that point, does 'offset' have to be specified for all subsequent contents
so that the patterns are correctly matched in the packet data?  I am
assuming this code has nothing like the doe_ptr and such, and that it
carries an implicit depth (the length of the pattern, after the hex is
converted to actual bytes).

--J